Sunday 29 April 2007

Unlikely Pin-Ups

I was amused to receive a link to the 'sexy MSP' website. However, Scotland being Scotland, political pin-ups are pretty thin on the ground and I can only assume that the whole thing is some post-modern exercise in irony. All the same, if I were my friend Shabnum, I would be pretty upset to have been pipped to the post by veteran Nationalist terror Christine Grahame ...I'm afraid I don't fair much better, coming in behind everyone's sexiest grandma, Margaret Mitchell. Pete kindly pointed out that I might move up the rankings with a picture but, given I've always maintained that I look better 'in action' (ie uncapturable by photographic devices) then perhaps it's a blessing in disguise.

In any case, I'm glad that the elections have given all those normally dour souls something to chuckle about - even if it's not the Nationalists' pie in the sky policies, whose sheer lunacy appears to have gone unnoticed by a public whom, if opinion polls are correct, is ready to vote for them in droves. The Lib Dems should be careful not to be forced into coalition with nationalistas. After 8 years in government we're in danger of looking power-hungry rather than principled if we simply take up with them after proclaiming we wouldn't - even if they drop their independence referendum idea.

Not only do their spendthrift policies play to the populist gallery but they are happy to overlook the fact that Scots are extremely generously subsidised by the Westminster exchequer, whose continued generosity is likely to be the only way their promises can be paid for. The irony... Furthermore, the myth of an independent Scotland in Europe, modelled after the success of Irish integration, fails to recognise we would benefit from almost no cohesion or structural funds, which are currently going to the Poles, Bulgars, and Romanians to help them climb out of a Communist era economic blackhole. I think it's a good idea in the long-term, but it's no cure-all and smacks of auld-alliance thinking rather than europhilia per se.

My personal aim is to secure more than 7 votes in my constituency on Thursday - since that's the number of party members we have - to help shore up our national vote. Any fewer and I'll assume I've even managed to make some enemies in my absence from the campaign trail..Fingers crossed!

4 comments:

peter said...

Good luck on Thurs. Given that the Greens don't stand in the Scottish constituencies, I can unreservedly call for your electorate to vote for you without fear of being cast out :)

Consider This said...

Thanks! And -in return - I promise to dedicate more of my blog and political life in general to green issues. I always saw being green as a kind of cultish lifestyle choice before, the domain of those who were happiest with organic ale and sandals. Now I realise that only a big shake up of all our lives can make any kind of difference...

Anonymous said...

Howdy this is kind of of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG
editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding know-how so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!

my web blog woodworking plans

Anonymous said...

I am гeally loving thе themе/dеѕіgn of
your blog. Do уou еver run into аny browser compаtibilitу
pгoblems? A number of my blоg audienсe
haѵe complained about mу blog nοt working corгectly in Ехplоrer
but looks great in Fiгefoх. Do yοu have any solutions to helρ fix this prоblem?


Feel free to surf to mу hοmepage; make money uploading videos